Thursday, July 07, 2005

The band is just fantastic, that is really what I think.
Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Runnin', runnin', runnin'. I am fully acclimated to the altitude now. (Bozeman is 4000 feet above sea level.) I am up to about 6 miles a day. No walkman, no I-Pod. It's pretty relaxing, and I observe a lot more of what is going on around me.

There are a lot of hawks around here, as I have documented copiously here. Ravens are also abundant, and they grow very large.

This week, though, I have noticed that small red-winged blackbirds frequently harass the hawks and ravens as they fly, flitting around the larger bird, pecking at them and causing the hawk or raven to fly erratically. I asked my friend, Bells, as he is very knowledgeable about wildlife, and he explained that the hawks and ravens will prey on young blackbirds, and the blackbirds are defending their territory. They pull some serious evasive maneuvers. Today, I saw a raven pull a barrel roll into a dive to get away from the red-wing blackbird.

I have a new found respect for the red-wing black bird.
--

The house is really coming together. I had a meeting with the builder to tie up a few loose ends. I also looked at some commercial properties, which were pretty damn pricey for a small town. The best "bargain" was $ 670,000 for 2.39 acres of raw land, zoned commercial, within city limits, just off a very busy road. Considering that you would have to put buildings on the property, you had better draw some serious rent to make your nut. It was interesting.

--

Tonight, there was "Music on Main." Every Thursday during the summer, they shut down a block just off Main Street in Bozeman, and bands play. The local restaurants cater food stands, and the bars take their business outside. It is basically a huge block party, with bands. There is even stuff for the kids. They were building wooden helicopters and running around with ice cream cones.

This is a picture before it got really packed:


Tonight's festivities were really well attended, and spirits ran high. The band, coincidentally, was bluegrass. (Just like the band yesterday.) The band was called The River Kane. I am actually developing an appreciation for bluegrass. Who'd-a thunk? There are some damn good guitar, mandolin and banjo players in this genre.

Here are some folks cutting a rug:



After that, we just cruised around town, exploring.

Here is the famed Big Sky:



Adios... gotta boogie-oogie-ooogie. Big hike tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Blogger Quagmire said...

Joe said:
The best "bargain" was $ 670,000 for 2.39 acres of raw land, zoned commercial, within city limits, just off a very busy road.

$670 large? In the bay area, that kind of scrath will barely garner you a rectal exam by a thick-fingered doctor from Tijuana, much less any kind of property. Boo hoo hoo, 3 acres cost me less than $1 million. Whaaaaa!

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home