Monday, August 22, 2005

"We gotta go back."
When he said, "Why?" I said, "We gotta go
because I left my wallet in El Segundo."

Yesterday was a fabulous day, during which I managed to accomplish a whole lot of nothing. I read from three books: Diary, by Chuck Palahniuk, Sunset Limited, by James Lee Burke, and a reference book about bonds and bond markets, specifically, U.S. government debt. I can highly recommend the first two to anyone, with the caveat that Palahniuk can get weird with the best of them, but the last book is not for the faint of heart. In fact, I have omitted the author and title for your own protection.

I had on ESPN Classic for background noise, and they were showing Bird vs. Magic all day. It was fantastic. The short shorts, the cheesy moustaches, the clutch jumpers, the uncanny, how-did-he-do-that passes, Kareem being a whiny bitch, McHale brutally clotheslining Rambis, Worthy being better than I remembered and, best of all, Bird and Magic being Bird and Magic. My memory of their skills has faded through the Jordan-Shaq era, but they would have been superstars in any era.

It was great to watch. They just hated each other. You got the feeling they would be trying to rip each other's throats out to win, even if they were playing on a playground with nobody watching. I guess that is why the NBA has lost so many casual fans... the players don't seem to care about winning as much.

--

Earlier this weekend we went out for sushi. I thought all along that I loved sushi, but I realized that I don't even know if I like it. India asked me about the different kinds- yellowtail, ahi, crab, crawfish, shrimp- and which I liked best. I didn't know. I couldn't even really identify one from the other, and was unable to say with certainty what I had just eaten.

See, I can't say that I have actually tasted the sushi itself, because I always put an insanely large dollop of wasabi on each piece. The sushi exists only as a wasabi delivery vehicle, which metaphorically acts as a shotgun blast into my mouth, blowing off the back of my head. Seriously. I can feel it in the back of my head. My eyes water; I take deep breaths; I sweat; I wince with pain; I sit back in my chair and wonder why I did that. Then I do it again. It is really painful. But really good.

I could probably save a lot of money if I just slathered the incendiary, green goodness on rice, and skipped the sushi.
--
We watched The Jacket, with Adrien Brody, last night. It was really good. It was a trippy mystery about amnesia, murder, mental institutions, sadistic treatments and time travel(!). Netflix it. You won't regret it.

--
And, finally, by popular request, I leave you with some random hiking photos:






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home