Friday, September 09, 2005

I can remember the Fourth of July, running through the backwood, bare.
And I can still hear my hound dog barkin'.
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.

I was never really a fan of CCR. I liked "Fortunate Son" and their cover of "Heard it Through the Grapevine," but that was about it. By the time John Fogerty recorded that abomination, "Centerfield," I think I hated them.

India and I just got back from grabbing a burrito and taking the dogs for a stroll near the university. We walked in, turned on the telly, and there was the tribute concert. We had good timing, because, a couple minutes after turning it on, the lights go up on a drummer knocking out some sweet cowbell. The camera panned back and it was the Foo Fighters rocking "Born on the Bayou."

Neither India nor I really liked that song before, but now we do. Damn. They rocked it.

This is at least the fourth time the Foos have done a fantastic cover song. They covered "Darling Nikki," a Prince song; they did "Stairway to Heaven" on Craig Kilborn's show once and it blew me away; and they did "Have a Cigar," which was great.

That led me to think of other great covers...

- Most of that Nirvana unplugged album- Lake of Fire, Jesus Don't Want Me For a Sunbeam, Man Who Sold the World, Where Did You Sleep Last Night... all great.

- Metallica doing "Turn the Page," by Bob Seger.

- Alien Ant Farm, "Smooth Criminal."

-Marylin Manson's "Sweet Dreams"

-Pearl Jam, "Last Kiss," which, oddly, is their best-selling song ever...

- Hendrix, "All Along the Watchtower"

-Chili Peppers- "Search and Destroy," (Stooges) "Higher Ground" (Stevie Wonder)& "Subterranean Homesick Blues" (Dylan)

- Rage Against the Machine- "Kick Out the Jams" (MC5), "Renegades of Funk' (Afrika Bambaata), "Maggie's Farm" (Dylan)

-John Lennon- Maggie's Farm (Although I think everyone did Dylan's songs better than Dylan)

- Syd Vicious- "My Way"

-The Lemonheads- "Mrs. Robinson"

-The Clash- "I Fought the Law"

- Devo- "Satisfaction" Say what you will... but Icantgetmeno. Nosatisfaction. Itriedanditriedanditry-try-try-try-try-try-tried.

-Johnny Cash- "Hurt" That is no longer a Nine Inch Nails Song. It's a Johnny Cash song.


Any others?

--
--

On a separate note, my feet really stink. When I wear my Chaco sandals for some reason, my feet stink. And other than when I went running, I have been wearing them for days on end.

My eyes are watering.

8 Comments:

Blogger Quagmire said...

Johnny Cash also covers U2's One. Look for it, listen to it and forget that Bono ever sang it.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

How could I forget that one, or his versions of "Personal Jesus, "Rusty Cage," and "I won't back down?"

Those American Recordings discs are classics.

Update yer blog, ya lazy bum. Some of us no-life, country bumpkins are living vicariously through you... I need my fix.

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shinedown's version of "Simple Kind of Man" (Lynrd Skynrd) is awesome.

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best place in the USA to be. Beats trying to write briefs.

BTW....What has three legs and lives on a farm?


Paul McCartney and his wife.

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you can put your chacos in the washing machine and/or dishwasher to help with the stench.

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cover me--

Gypsy Kings--Hotel California
Too Much Joy--Seasons in the Sun
Los Lobos--Bertha
Warren Zevon--Back in the High Life
Gram Parsons--I Can't Dance
Aztec Camera--Jump
Professionals--White Light, White Heat
Graham Parker--I Want You Back
BR5-49--Crazy Arms

or uncovered--

Bruce--Blinded by the Light
The Leaves--Hey Joe
Tom Petty--Ways to be Wicked
Robert Johnson--Crossroads
Mose Allison--Young Man Blues
Brinsley Schwarz--(What's so Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding
Vince Taylor--Brand New Cadillac
Traffic--Feelin' Alright
John Hiatt--Thing Called Love
The Move--California Man

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tesla doing Signs

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What good is a playground
Filled with lovers
beneath your windowpane,
If everytime you watch them,
It starts to rain.

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home