Thursday, September 22, 2005

Like I told you, what I said...
Steal your face right off your head.

Well, it has been more of the same here, so I haven't been inspired to write much lately. Nobody I know has called and asked me to help dispose of a body, choked on their tongue, or woken up in a strange bed wearing Batman Underoos with chicken parmigiana smeared on the pillows and curtains. But tomorrow is Friday and anything can happen.
==

You have to pick and choose your reality television carefully these days. There are only so many hours in a day. We're looking forward to the Martha Stewart Apprentice show next week. India likes Martha now that she is more "street."

==

5 songs in heavy rotation on the iPod-- 1. "Blue Orchid," by the White Stripes. My favorite song this summer, hands down. 2. "99 Problems," by Jay Z. A master of his genre at the top of his game. 3. "Poor Tom," by Led Zeppelin. Underrated acoustic classic. 4. "Born on the Bayou," by the Foo Fighters. I only wish I had a better quality recording. 5. "Drive My Car," by the Beatles. 3 minutes of some of the purest pop bliss ever created.

==

We watched the Metallica documentary, Some Kind of Monster last night. It was pretty good, but sort of ridiculous at the same time. Lars Ulrich and James Hetfield are both total assholes who pay a therapist $ 40,000 per month to help them communicate with each other, because they are incapable of talking without ripping into each other. James Hetfield ends up taking a year to go to rehab for alcohol and other "undisclosed addictions." Oh, and the therapist is full of shit and ends up thinking he is part of the band.

I did come away thinking that Kirk Hammet, the lead guitar player in the band was a genuinely nice guy.

All of that said, it was pretty compelling to watch the creative process as they made an album, even if, in my opinion, Hetfield would rather just quit. Unfortunately for him, the Metallica corporation is just too big and too lucrative to stop. They are pretty talented musicians, and it was interesting to watch the songwriting process.

The best parts were interviews with Jason Newstead, the bass player who left the band because he was sick of Hetfield's shit, and when the therapist made Lars Ulrich sit down and talk with Dave Mustaine. Mustaine was unceremoniously kicked out of the band in the early 80's, and despite going on to a career with his own band, Megadeth, is basically known as the guy who got kicked out of Metallica.

==

Currently, I am reading several books: Word Virus, a large hardcover compilation of William Burroughs' writing; Acid House, short stories by Irvine Welsh, author of Trainspotting; Farewell My Lovely, by Raymond Chandler, and; The Nick Adams Stories by Hemingway. I usually limit myself to two or three books at once, but all of them are compilations except the Chandler novel, so I have them in different rooms and read whichever book is in the room. I'm like a kid in a candy store, because they are all good.
==

When I was running today, I saw a huge hawk flying with something in his claws. The circle of life continues in Southwest Montana...

There is a winter storm warning tomorrow at elevations of 5000 feet for tomorrow. (The "M" we hiked to on Tuesday is at 5000 feet. Bozeman is at 4000 feet, which means rain for us.) I would utter a "sweet" at this point, but I fear that my wife would beat about the head and neck with this laptop.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Nobody I know has called"

Your nose is going to grow for that :)

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home