Tuesday, September 05, 2006

There's a dragon with matches
That's loose on the town
Take a whole pail of water
To cool him down

A raging 200,000 acre wildfire is burning South of Big Timber, Montana.

That is roughly an hour drive east of Bozeman.

Many homes have burned (26, at last count), and many, many people have been ordered to evacuate.

The fire is being fueled by dry conditions and a strong East wind.

That east wind has blown much of the smoke from the fire into the Bozeman area.

Our normally gorgeous valley is entirely filled with smoke.

One cannot even see the mountains... which normally dominate the views here.

I can't even see the Bridgers, which are 4-5 miles from my house.

On any normal day, the Tobacco Roots, which are 50 miles away, look like they are a 15 minute drive.

The interior of my house smells like a campfire.

We need some rain.

Badly.

This is worse than the worst smog day I remember from my 4 years in LA.

They issued a warning against vigorous outdoor exercise, due to air quality.

On a positive note, my little gift to myself brought me untold hours of entertainment this weekend. I learned 4 new songs, plus mastered the wah-wah pedal.

I think my neighbors love it, too.

4 Comments:

Blogger Paulette said...

That is a pretty guitar. I'm glad you're having fun with it. What songs did you learn? I have Clapton's White Room and Chaka Khan's Tell Me Something Good stuck in my head since you mentioned the wah-wah pedal, lol.

Hope you get some rain soon.

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

200,000 Acres? I didn't realize any of this years fires had gotten that big. If it contines to grow, it'll beat the 2003 fires which were largest on record. Here in the flathead valley it's smokey, too, but at least campfires smell better than smog, right? I hope rain comes soon!!

3:45 PM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Hope it rains soon.

8:04 PM  
Blogger Quagmire said...

Fire, fire on the mountain...
Fire, fire on the mouuuuntaiiiin.













yes, I'm drunk again.

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home