Saturday, November 28, 2009

The guy in the limousine with the magic hair

I went snowboarding today for the first time this season up at Big Sky.

The drive from my house to the resort is probably around 25 miles, through a steep-walled canyon, formed by the Gallatin river. It is a gorgeous, winding, potentially treacherous drive. For instance, today, my lane of traffic stopped because there were three bighorn sheep in the road. They were in the other lane, so we crept past the animals. As I was scooting by, some idiot in an SUV, driving far too fast, locked up his brakes, laid on his horn and slid sideways to avoid the sheep.

I am glad he didn't end up in my lane. He could have hit me really easily.

The remainder of the drive was uneventful, except that my pocket camera died while I was trying to snap a quick picture of the sheep.

They reported 4 inches overnight in the parking lot. Up in the bowl, off the triple lift, it was more like 10 inches.

I have new boots this season, and my board was freshly tuned. It was cold, and I was riding very, very fast. Each year, there is a combination of anticipation and nerves prior to getting on the mountain, but, once there, it is just like riding a bike.

It was a clear day, and the snow was vibrant. I rode with an iPod cranking a mix I had put together for this type of occasion. I was moving fluidly and comfortably at comparatively high velocity.

I saw familliar faces, lit up with smiles, and rode a little with a couple friends I hadn't seen since last season.

Welcome to winter.

We sat in the hot tub for a while after I got home.

I am not sure if I want to watch a movie tonight or play rock and roll. I just finished the new Chuck Klosterman book and the new Pahlaniuk book, Pygmy. Each one is a one-day read. Each one is entertaining, but not the author's best work.

I am listening to T Rex. I am looking at the alpenglow on the mountains looming out my back yard. Stanette is blow-drying her hair. That tells me we are probably going out tonight.

This time next week, we'll be in St. Lucia for a week, getting married.

My cat absolutely adores me.

I may go snowboarding tomorrow again.

It is beautiful here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Interior Decorators Shreveport said...

Loved reading this thaank you

2:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home